5.17.2009

Gamesday 2009

So, this post is somewhat, belated? Gamesday was a week ago, and I am just now getting around to posting about it. Apologies, but I can get pretty busy... (or lazy) This Gamesday was held at Baltimore, and Ace of Cakes make an armored squig including swallowed squig herder! At first glance I thought this was just a statue, but I recalled overhearing Ace of Cakes was in the building and someone mentioned this beastly thing was actually a cake. Don't get caught licking the icing on this one.

The event included many Club gaming tables and several GW ran events. People could partake in an Apocalypse battle between the Imperium Tanks and Orc Super Heavies. Or they could take control of one of the many forces defending or assailing Minas Tirith pictured above. It was a very big table with a huge model of the famous Lord of the Ring city to add to the flavor. I was not sure who was exactly winning, but I saw many dead riders of Rohan!

The Golden Demon is truely a highlight for many of the avid adventurers of Gamesday. I always consider entering into the competition with my meager skills, until I see things like this one. Above is a regiment submission, I believe, of Bretonnian Knights. My camera skills only take away from this incredible artwork. You had to be there in person and look with your own eyes directly at these tremendous models. I am sure some people would not be as awed as I, but this was a high light for me. Below is a conversation using Bretonnian bitz and Saint Celestine from my sisters 40k army. I could pick it out easily and it held a place in my memories of GD 2009. Awesome modelling.



Here is another picture of the Squig Herder cake. It is crazy what they can do with some cooked cake batter and some glue. Save me a leg!



My camera died at some point during the wandering of the arena. My cousins, Greg and David, and I participated in the conversion contest. You were given sprues of Chaos Warriors and Space Marines and told to make the best, craziest, whatever your mind could think of and you could glue to a base, model to enter into the competition. I have no idea who won, or what the winning model was comprised of that allowed it to win. After looking at some of the crazy stuff I saw, it must be phoenominal.
We traveled to the scenary make and take and I met my old friend from the bunker Joe Neet. We exchanged some friendly banter and he supplied my cousins and I with some cities of death sprues and we went to town making some buildings. I eagerly made a two storey building to act as a church for the next Warhammer Fantasy battle between myself and a friend. It turned out very well.
My friend Dave and his gaming club was present and totally were hosed out of winning the banner contest. GW usually held the contests until close to the end of the day when most everyone was finished gaming . This year the banner and costume contest were overshadowed by events still ongoing. The time was moved up drastically and many people did not participate in judging the banners or the costumes. Several people with costumes did not even make the contest, which was a shame because they had some very good ones. I will not even touch on, what was suppose to be a seminar, that I attended. Nothing good can come from me talking about, but I will say that I was severely disappointed - and not because I had some super question I wanted answered that would never be, but because nothing came out of that seminar, nothing.
Will I go to Gamesday 2010? Who knows, probably, for $25 I got to enjoy a day out in Baltimore, make some scenary, make a chaos dude, check out some armies, meet up with old friends, maybe make a costume next year, who knows? Bring some friends, split parking costs, smuggle in some snack bars to munch on to cut down on food $$$, and have a good time!



No comments: