4.28.2009

Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, 2

I need to hand it to the guy at Gamestop, I went in just browsing and a picture or reference to Bioshock 2, and before I knew it I reserved Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 and even Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2! The originals of these games were very interesting games, probably some of the better ones I came across lately.

Bioshock was a very creepy different take on first person shooters. It set you inside the world created by a man who wanted men to be free of governments and morality. This freedom soon led to disaster when people became out of control and inevitably sought power over one another. The graphics were very good and how sounds or voices would creep to your ears or echo from all around you kept me jumping. I heard that in the second game you will take the place of a big daddy still in Rapture. Rapture is the city and the big daddies were the guardians of the little sisters who held the coveted "Adam" used to increase ones physical or mental self. You fight these big daddies in the first game, now supposedly you get to be one.

Mass Effect, this game was exceptional. I felt I was immersed in an endless universe, with possibilities to go anywhere and do almost anything. You become a special operative and are tasked with seeking out a rogue agent. This really is the story in its simplest form. Through the game you gather allies to yourself, and choose the squad you wish to command. One of the greatest features is the ability to decide the fate of yourself and others throughout the game. You are given the choice to pick the path of good, evil or even neutrality. The game mixes the ability to create a unique character, with several different careers, each with its own abilities. There is not just a game Mass Effect, there are two novels out. The first one is the prequel to the game. You follow the story of a human as he tries to become the universes first SPECTRE (Special Tactics and Reconnaissance agent. The second book takes place in the universe after the affects of the game plays out. It was a very good game, that I actually played through over four times, to attempt to complete all the achievements. I hope that the sequel is even better.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2
I knew COD4 was a hit, but I could not believe they were actually making a sequel to the first one! This immediately made me recall when Final Fantasy X-2 was made, and many avid FF fans were like, huh? Also, Call of Duty: World at War was recently released a few months ago, not even fresh off the shelves Call of Duty 4: 2 is in development? I started playing COD4 again, I truely liked the game and can handle my own much better in it than in Gears of War 2 where I get obliterated. I can apprecaite COD4 because it takes place during the Modern Day. I was in the military and like the skins of the different forces and the story in general. I regretfully played the game through on the hardest level, and the suggestion of my younger brother, and the game was much more difficult to beat. The story mode had a tendency to not save correctly at checkpoints and I found myself dying endlessly at the same spot for days on end. Aside from that the game is a great play and I look forward to seeing if COD4 - 2 follows the path of Final Fantasy X-2 or breaks the mold!

1 comment:

Rysm said...

I am so jealous. Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 sound awesome. I wish I didn't get motion sickness from FPS'. :( I am amazed that the FPS is getting such rich settings with interesting stories to boot. You'll have to post some highlights of your playing of these games.